Top 10 Tight Ends in the NFL
By Randy Maltz – Founder and Editor at Silver and Blue Report and Hook’em Report
During this 2011 offseason, ESPN has ranked the top Tight Ends in the National Football League (NFL). How do the best Tight Ends in the NFL stack up? The NFL experts at ESPN weighed in with its rankings and here are the results. Our top Tight End, Dallas Cowboys Jason Witten, ranked first.
Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. said both Witten and Gates are game-changers. “Witten to me is the class of the two-way tight ends,” Williamson said. “Receiving needs to trump blocking because that is what the league is right now. If someone put Witten first on the list, I can buy that. In terms of doing it all, I think he is the best. … I think he is the best of the two-way guys if you put an equal amount of faith in both receiving and blocking. He is the all-around tight end prototype.
Ranking the Tight Ends
1. Jason Witten, Dallas Cowboys
2. Antonio Gates, San Diego Chargers
3. Dallas Clark, Indianapolis Colts
4. Vernon Davis, San Francisco 49ers
5. Chris Cooley, Washington Redskins
6. Tony Gonzalez, Atlanta Falcons
7. Kellen Winslow Jr., Tampa Bay
8. Marcedes Lewis, Jacksonville Jaguars
9. Brandon Pettigrew, Detroit Lions
10. Jermichael Finley, Green Bay