My Thoughts about the Cowboys vs Broncos Preseason Game
After seeing the Dallas Cowboys in action after only two weeks of preparation, I was impressed. On the whole, the team seemed to be more focused and possessed a greater sense of urgency. Maybe I am so positive because last year’s preseason games made me nauseous. Here are a few of the things of which I took notice:
1) For the first time in a long time, I am seeing a good second effort by players. I know players are competing for a roster spot and everything, but there was still a greater effort made to finish tackles, get extra yards, create holes and generally hustle. There is just a different pace to this year’s team.
2) After hearing so much about RB Lonyae Miller in camp, I was far more impressed Phillip Tanner (#34). I like Tanner’s speed. He just hits the holes faster than Miller did.
3) WR Dwayne Harris (#14) looked great. He caught all five passes thrown his way and gained 127 yards and had two touchdown receptions. Raymond Radway (#86) looked impressive too. That guy has monster speed.
I was worried about the third and forth receiver spots before this game, but now not at all. Receivers simply catching passes thrown to them is something of a novelty around here (I’m looking at you Roy Williams). Hopefully, it will just become the norm.
4) Pass coverage and pressure on the QB were still lacking, but will hopefully improve. The second string scared me the most on this. But maybe I was let down because I wanted to see a lot more hits on Tebow! I just enjoy seeing him on the ground.
5) It was awesome that the Cowboys had 345 yards of offense. It’s also horrible that the defense allowed 357 yards of offense by the Broncos.
6) Stephen McGee threw an interception, but shook it off and commanded his offense for the win. I liked a lot of what I saw in him. In my opinion, he showed a lot of poise, more maturity, and really made a pre-season game really enjoyable.
Granted, I am a freak for the Cowboys, so I won’t even pretend to be objective. All I know is it’s been a long time since any preseason Cowboys’ game has made me excited to start the season. So far, I like what I am seeing.