Please “LIKE”, “SHARE”, “COMMENT”, or RETWEET …
For more casual NFL football fans, there are low-key pick’em contest pools held in every office and sports bar across the country. When your love for football is so great that it can’t be contained by an office pool with amateur participants, however, there’s always fantasy football.
More than a mere game, fantasy football is a fever that sets in during preseason and doesn’t let up until the last Super Bowl pass leaves the fingers of a quarterback. If you’re among the tried and true fantasy football heroes, these ten apps can turn your iPhone into the most powerful tool at your disposal for the entirety of the season.
- ESPN ScoreCenter – When the work of drafting your team is done, you’ll still need to have your finger on the pulse of all things football throughout the season to track your players’ progress. The free ScoreCenter app from cable giant ESPN allows you to keep up with what’s going on from one game to the next, even when regional blackouts keep you from tuning in from time to time.
- Downcast – At first blush, a $1.99 podcast app doesn’t seem like a very useful tool for fantasy football team owners. It’s actually one of the best apps to install when you’re in the thick of the season, though, and there are many important podcasts to be found. You may not be listening, but you can bet that the others in your league are tuning in for the next big scoop. Downcast lets you stay on top of every podcast, so you never miss another crucial bit of breaking news.
- Yahoo! Fantasy Sports – Fantasy Football – Both live and mock drafts, live scoring, roster management, match ups and breaking player news are just a few of the features offered by this free app from Yahoo! Sports. You’ll also have access to the fantasy football forums, where you can discuss picks, games and other relevant topics with owners around the world.
- NFL Mobile – The free NFL Mobile app has revolutionized the way that even fans who don’t participate in fantasy leagues watch football. For team owners, the ability to get up-to-the-minute scoring information, check out post-game highlights, set up custom alerts and access a wide range of stats, standings and other information is indispensable.
- NFL Fantasy Football Cheat Sheet 2013 – Owning a fantasy football team requires that you be more invested in the lives of your players than a casual sports fan, and this $2.99 app makes it easier than ever to manage your cheat sheet. Be more prepared for draft day than ever before with this high-end app, which offers a host of features that will even work offline when you’re in areas with patchy reception.
- FantasyAlarm Fantasy Football Lineup Optimizer – Named the “Best Mobile App” by the Fantasy Sports Trade Association, this free app could be the tool to winning your league this season. Get real-time alerts when one of your players is moved to an active/inactive/injured list, is rumored to be traded or has a change in depth chart standing.
- FBG Mobile – There are casual fantasy football leagues, and then there are those made up of tenacious owners. The people at Footballguys.com certainly fall into the latter camp, which means that their free app is a must-have tool for any serious team owner. Daily newsletters, podcasts and other pertinent information will be available right at your fingertips with this plum app.
- RotoWire Fantasy Football Assistant 2013 – The most important day in the fantasy football season is draft day. This $9.99 app aims to make your draft day better and more profitable than ever before, setting the tone for your season and helping to ensure a victory. While this app was created and is marketed by the minds behind RotoWire.com, you don’t even need to be a member to download and use it.
- RotoWire Ask an Expert – There are times when you’ll be able to sail through a day during the season without any questions, but there will be far more when you’re in desperate need of advice. Brought to you by the same creative minds behind RotoWire.com, this free app allows you access to a network of experts who will answer your questions in a timely and accurate manner.
- ESPN Fantasy Football – From draft day to the Super Bowl, the free ESPN Fantasy Football app will be one of the apps you turn to most often throughout the season. Post and read messages in your league message board, access accurate player information and stay connected to everyone on your team, all from one application.